Thursday, April 22, 2010

Menstrual Cups and Devices

Since I don't have a whole lot to report today, I figured today would be a good day to discuss menstrual cups and devices. We all have grown up hearing about tampons and pads, but up until about a year ago, I'd never heard anything about sea sponges, cloth pads, menstrual cups or anything of the sort.

Sea sponges are exactly what it sounds like. Sponges from the sea that are used to soak up menstrual blood. Cloth pads, also very self-explanatory, pads that are cloth that can be washed and re-used each cycle. Menstrual cups, now this is where things get interesting, for me at least.

There are many types of menstrual cups out there and it's not a one size fits all type of thing. I highly recommend doing your homework before shelling out the money on a cup only to find it's not that comfy for you. So, the basics of a menstrual cup are, it's a device that is shaped like a small cup, usually with a stem on the bottom of the cup for easy removal. It does exactly what it sounds like it does. It fits comfortably inside the vagina, around the cervix and catches the menstrual flow. You remove and empty the cup, as needed, and insert it again. It is VERY comfortable and very eco-friendly.

Perks to a menstrual cup:

Environmentally friendly
No waste-there is nothing to throw away with a menstrual cup, it is reusable.
Most menstrual cups last for 10 YEARS
No bulky tampons to fish out of your purse. You know you all have had at least one embarrassing moment trying to be discreet fishing a tampon out of the purse and have knocked a tampon out, of course in front of people.
The COST!!! This to me is a HUGE perk, being the cheapskate that I am. I spent $35 on my Diva Cup, that will last me 10 YEARS. So break that down. A normal woman will have a cycle every 30 days, (I am not one of said "normal" women though) so 12 cycles a year, $2.91 per year. Break that down over 10 years and the cost each cycle is $.29 each cycle. Now tell me, how many of you all can say you spend $.29 on feminine supplies for a cycle? I can!!! I was easily spending $35 every 2 MONTHS on tampons for me. (and my daughter) And was having garbage cans full of used tampon applicators only to fill the landfill.

I did have some problems with my Diva Cup in the beginning, mainly due to the fit and my anatomy. This is why it's important to do your homework before impulse buying one. I bought a Diva Cup model 2, that is meant for women over 30 OR who have had children already. Model 1 is meant for women under 30 years of age and who have NOT had children. The difference I have found in them is the length. The length of mine was a bit long, especially with the stem. You can cut the stem off for comfort which I did. I was still having problems with it, feeling like it was falling out anytime I peed. I have since learned that if one is experiencing that discomfort, simply flip the cup inside out, and wear it that way. It makes the cup a bit shorter, and I have not had a problem with it since. I love that I can wear it on days that I am spotting, bleeding heavily, passing clots, etc! It doesn't make a difference and there is no risk of TSS (Toxic Shock Syndrome) as there is with tampons. I used to have horrid cramps with tampons, and after removing the tampon, I would feel instant relief. Since wearing my cup, I have no cramps associated with the cup, only the common AF cramps.

For more info or to buy a Diva Cup here is the website's link.


And a picture so you all can get a better idea of what I have been talking about.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks thats been helpful.
    I am wanting to buy one to help me conceive.. Im not sure about how to get them in if your cervix isnt pointing straight down the way........ like the opening is almost like its facing my lefthand side....?? is this just me lol could this be impossible ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you are saying and for that purpose I don't think a Diva Cup would be right for you. There is a product called Instead cups, that are sold at Walmart etc, that are flexible rings with a soft very flexible "cup." With the Instead cups it might be a better fit for your anatomy, since the Diva Cup does not have as flexible of a "cup" to fit in the position you need it to be. HTH!

    http://www.softcup.com/

    ReplyDelete