Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Dr Appointment-Follow Up

Had my follow up appointment yesterday and it went very well!! I cannot say enough how much I love this doctor and am so sad that my next appointment, in 3 months, will be my last with her. It's gonna be a long one, so get comfy. :D

We're keeping my Metformin dosage where it is at since my body is still having a hard time getting adjusted to it. (ie., gastric upset) She asked me if I had taken the P.O.P BCP's that she gave me last time, which I had not. I wanted to do one cycle with just the Met to see what it would do to my cycle. Since I didn't O, I brought on AF with NPC (which she is VERY supportive of doing) and did NPC throughout this cycle. I wasn't keen on putting synthetic hormones on my body, which again she was very supportive of. She did explain to me that just the progesterone will not help me in my situation.

We discussed how women with PCOS have too little amounts of estrogen. The estrogen levels slowly increase at the beginning of the cycle, until they reach a peak. During that peak, is when an egg is released. It made soooooooo much sense for my situation, despite the fact that I have always read that women with PCOS have estrogen dominance, aka too much estrogen. I told her that I seem to be stuck at the stage where a follie grows (I can feel it taking place) but it never releases, hence all my fake out O's. She agreed even more once I told her that, that my estrogen levels are too low, and suggested that I go on a estrogen/progesterone combo pill. I am reluctant just b/c I am TTC. She took one look at my charts and confirmed the low estrogen, with all the waves of my body trying to O, but never being successful.

Then, we got to talking about Vit D and bone health. Estrogen also plays a role in good bone health. Top that off with low calcium and low Vit D levels (which she said that most ALL people who live in the NW are, so much so, they quit testing for it, and just tell everybody to take 2,000IU/day of Vit D/day, which I've been doing for the last 2 weeks) that it is a recipe for osteoporosis. My mom was diagnosed with osteoporosis at the age of 35 after she twisted her ankle and shattered it into tiny little pieces!! So, she wants me to get in the estrogen BCPs if nothing else for my bone health.

I was more receptive to taking the BCP's, b/c of what she said about my bone health and how well she explained the PCOS/O connection. It made so much sense. I was on the Nuvaring for 2 cycles prior to getting PG with Em. So, something (most likely the estrogen) helped reset my body, and now that I know what I know about too little of estrogen, it makes sense!!

So, gonna finish out this cycle with the NPC, only have 2 more days of taking it, and will stop to let AF come. Then I will start the BCP's while continuing the Metformin, Vit D and now starting on a calcium supplement. I go back for a follow up in 3 months, which will be my last appointment with her, since she is retiring. I'm still on the new patient waiting list at the place she referred me to. I will continue my care there, once I can get an appointment.

Again, she told me that I need to teach others all my knowledge of FAM/NFP and charting. She mentioned the local Christian church teaches NFP, and I should look into doing that. Then after finding out that I'm not religious, she figured it might not work with the church. SO she suggested instead to hold a conference type meeting, charging 35-$40 per person and teaching a FAM/NFP course. That made my wheels start turning!! (and my DH's after I told him) That would definitely be something I would LOVE to do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment